Have you ever thought of pursuing a career as a medical professional but wanted a unique international experience before entering the field? Project Salud y Paz could provide a wonderful learning experience for you. Based in the beautiful, mountainous highlands of the Quiche region of Guatemala, Salud y Paz strives to provide healthcare to the impoverished Mayan population living throughout the area.
The Salud y Paz clinics are run entirely by Guatemalan staff, including a general surgeon, family medicine M.D., dentist, dental assistant, pharmacists, nurses, and lab technicians. The staff has years of experience working alongside international volunteers and enjoys building relationships with, teaching, and learning from and about volunteers and visitors.
Salud y Paz will work with you to create and experience that best suits your interests. Learning opportunities could include shadowing doctors, assisting in minor surgical procedures, helping the school nurse, contributing to the health education program, hands-on learning in the lab and pharmacy, assisting the dentist, and more!
If you are aspiring to be a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, lab technician, etc. and are interested in the Salud y Paz Student Volunteer Program, please contact Katie Slagle.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have completed at least two semesters of college.
- Does not require Spanish language proficiency.
- Recommended stay is 4-7 days.
- Minimal in-country cost.
- Can accommodate two students at a time. (Bring a friend!)
- Salud y Paz will take care of in-country logistics.
- Recommended that volunteers stay in the city of Panajachel.
- Send resumes and questions to Katie Slagle.